This recipe will help you produce an authentic Chicken Donner Kebab at home, with ingredients you’d find in any well stocked kitchen; as per usual measurements are approximate – serves 2 to 3 adults…
(This is a #LCHF Low Carb, High Fat dish)
- 6 Boned and skinless chicken thighs
- 1 or 2 Red Onions
- 1 or more Green / Red / Yellow Pepper(s) to taste
- 1 tsp freshly ground sea/rock salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp Marjoram (Can sub-in fresh coriander/cilantro)
- 2 tsp Garlic purée
- 1-2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Onion powder/granules
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tsp MSG
- 1 tsp Extra Hot Chilli powder (You can add in Pimentón or Kashmiri Chilli powder for extra spice/flavour)
- 3 tblsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- A fair shake of Franks Chilli and Lime Sauce (If you can get it, use Tajin Seasoning: Popular Mexican Chili-Lime Seasoning)
- Handful of freshly chopped Parsley
- Around 200ml of Olive oil and more to drizzle
Chop onions and pepper, as pictured, and thread onto a skewer. Drizzle with olive oil and cover with salt / pepper from your grinders. Set to one side. (You can also cheat on this one, throw the lot into a zip-lock bag, salt, pepper, and olive oil up before putting on the kebab skewers later)
Combine all herbs, spices and oil, and mix well. Marinade the chicken in the herb/spice mix (You can do this for as long as you like).
Thread chicken on to pairs of skewers as pictured, place over a roasting pan, together with the onion and pepper skewer(s). If using lumps not whole chicken-thighs, then obviously use single skewers. Works great on a Roto-Q 360 or similar device – go google it 🙂
Cook in an oven at 180 degrees centigrade, for around an hour, or until done to your desires. Turn occasionally and baste in the juices during cooking.
Slice off the skewers and serve with salad & coleslaw, or whatever you like 🙂
Tip – anything goes on the kebabs, baby-new-potatoes are great, and large chunks of mushroom push the whole thing into over-drive. Whilst this recipe used chicken thighs, you can also use chicken breast chunks, or chunks of lamb!
Just as a note, this recipe will take an infinite amount of modification, the ingredients listed above will get you in the ball park, but please play around and make it your own!