I was experimenting in the kitchen with the aim of making a Baileys substitute, as it’s well known that Baileys contains LOTS of sugar… And I’m a rum drinker, not whisky (But I dare to say this would work with whisky) 🙂
This recipe made me just over a litre, the only sugars came from the Evaporated Milk (44g), and a tiny bit in the Vanilla – a tiny amount compared to Baileys, which according to the Interwebs is around 25% sugar.
So… Get the following ingredients together:
- Evaporated Milk (400g tin)
- Double (Heavy for the Americans) Cream – 600ml
- Rum – (I used Mount Gay) – Fill half the Evaporated Milk can.
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Stevia (You could probably use Splenda in a pinch)
- 1 heaped teaspoon of Instant Coffee granules
- 1/2 a flat teaspoon of Coco Powder
Right, now for the method:
- In a small bowl, place the Coffee, Vanilla Extract, Coco Powder, and Stevia, stir in just enough (perhaps 15-20ml – NOT a lot!) boiling water to dissolve all ingredients in the bowl
- Pour the Rum, Cream, and Evaporated Milk, plus the first mixture into a blender
- Blend. Carefully and slowly, perhaps on pulse mode. Don’t blend aggressively otherwise it’ll be nasty
- Try to put in a container in the fridge to cool. If this fails, pour directly into a glass with ice and consume 😉
I think the next time I make this, I’ll be using thicker cream, and more rum. This is a great drink, but could possibly be even better!