- Around the age of 35, I decided to look for a wife, took me a while, but have mine for keeps.
- I cook only for those I love.
- You can go skiing in a car.
- It is possible to change almost anything in your life, eventually.
- All religion is inherently evil, and not a force for good.
- You can call me “Rev Spabbit”, as I’m an ordained member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (Sardonic, right?)
- Morals don’t, and never have, come from religion
- Learning to cook is one of the most important things you can do.
- Don’t listen to Doctors too readily, always get a second opinion.
- Cats, no society can be civilised without cats * lots (We have 6!).
- You can choose your family, do so carefully.
- Sex. More fun kinky.
- You can sleep handcuffed, quite happily.
- Duty and Loyalty and right up there with breathing.
- Tattoos are fun, I only have one so far.
- Eventually, a computer will do as I tell it to.
- Be prepared to be wrong, admit your mistakes. Be gracious when you’re right.
- Always look at the actual evidence, and to many decimal places. If the evidence proves you wrong, then you’re wrong, deal with it.
- The Scotty Principle saves all.
- The 10,000 hours thing is true, anyone can do anything!
- If you’ve not been broken at least once, you’re not complete as a person.
- Science has the answers, even if it doesn’t yet, it will.
- One man’s magic is another man’s engineering.
- There is/are no god/gods, only delusional humans.
- Make shit count, when you’re dead, that’s it – all you are then are a collection of memories, eventually to fade. There are no second chances when you’re dead.
- Women and children first, anything else, and we’re all doomed.
- I don’t feel the need to follow every law, I think most are optional at best – it’s only illegal if you’re caught, but be prepared to pay the price!
- You have to sleep, so be good and moral where possible.
- Always leave your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.
- Live and Learn, or don’t live at all. Sometimes you just have to say “Fuck it”, dive off the deep end with that quivering feeling at the base of your spine. Done that more than once 😉
- Always try to be objective, and where emotional, make sure you can live with the results of your actions.
- If you’re going to take the path of least resistance, you’re invariably going to settle for less.
- Physical pain and pleasure really are very close to each other.
- If you want to do something, have self respect, at least Google it and try before going begging for help!
- If you’re afraid, it means you’re doing it right. Fear is the complement of courage, the fearless are invariably stupid. A man without fear cannot be courageous.
- Write shit down. I tell you three times, write shit down. Only a matter of time before you forget something important.
- Learn to say “no”, and be rude about it where necessary; the sooner you do so, and mean it, the better your life will become, and the more you’ll be able to support you and yours.
I’m worried about lots of things, all the time. Sometimes I turn to the common vices, drink etc… But why the fuck do we all worry all the time, soon enough we’ll all be dead, and when you’re dead, you don’t care anymore.
Fucking evolution and biology. Fuck them both.
The Human Condition: Bright enough to know what you are, and why you are. Too fucking dumb to do jack shit about it. Yup – there’s your problem.
- Alannah Myles – Alannah Myles – The very first CD I bought back in the day when they were still new.
- Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan – in Session – Blues, say no more.
- Amy Winehouse – Paradiso – Always good for a drinking session (sic).
- Clanad – The ultimate collection – This one got me through some very hard times back in the early 90s.
- Dinah Washington Finest Hour – Classic.
- Earth and Fire – The Singles – These guys are the alternate Abba – a little more raw.
- Huey Lewis and the News – Sports – The very first tape album I bought, and not regretted a single minute of listening to 🙂
- Imelda May – Love Tattoo – I got engaged and married with “Falling In Love” playing on a loop in my head!
- Jeff Wayne – War Of The Worlds (1985) – Say no more.
- Mike Oldfield – Amarok – Love this – few words, but sets your imagination going.
- Postmodern Jukebox – Squad Goals – PMJ take a normal song a fuck with it to transform it into a masterpiece – this is their most recent album, and one of their best!
- Robert Schumann – The classical selection – Yes, it’s not Mozart – think I’ve grown out of my Mozart days!
- Sky – Five Live – Sky – those drugged up hippies armed with the most amazing pieces of music I’ve ever heard – Live is always better.
- The Very Best of Nina Simone – Always good drinking music 🙂
… And that’s my 14 – spread over 30 years of collecting music… There are so many more artists in the collection, this is a small slice of my personal history!
Another one found online, and this made me belly laugh 🙂 Wednesday of the week off, and I’m now starting to relax!
And now for a better mouse-trap 😉
Here are some of my favourite House Quotes, most with an atheist point. House is one my all time favourite series, and House, the character, well he just happens to mirror many of my atheist standpoints – so here is a small collection of House Quotes:
- “If you talk to God you’re religious. If God talks to you, you’re psychotic.”
– (They’re all crazy!)
- “If you can fake sincerity, you can fake pretty much anything.”
– (The religious fake anything – pah ;))
- “…there’s no I in ‘team’. There is a me, though, if you jumble it up.”
– (Not atheist especially, but a fitting response to that so-fucking-patronising saying)
- “Idiopathic, from the Latin meaning we’re idiots cause we can’t figure out what’s causing it.”
– (This applies to all the religious)
- “Never trust doctors.”
– (So true!)
- “Rational arguments don’t usually work on religious people. Otherwise there would be no religious people.”
– (And wouldn’t that be a great new age of humanity!)
- “Isn’t it interesting that religious behaviour is so close to being crazy we can’t tell it apart.”
– (Religious = Completely fucking crazy, and not in the cute way…)
- “Religion is not the opiate of the masses, religion is the placebo of the masses”
– (I think that time was called “The Dark Ages”)
- “Somewhere out there is a tree, tirelessly producing oxygen, so you can breathe. I think you owe it an apology.”
– (Love this, all of the religious owe the universe a fucking apology lol)
* BTW: I’m an atheist, if you hadn’t figured that one out already 😉
I was sucked into the YouTube Vortex the other day, and stumbled upon this gem from Wintergatan… This is simply amazing, and in this day and age where the fine level craftsman is something of a myth, even more amazing. Apparently this machine uses somewhere in the region of 2000 marbles (Although they look like steel ball-bearings to me), and is entirely hand cranked… What kind of madmen made this – Wintergatan madmen!
After watching this, I went further and watched some more Wintergatan… Whilst they looks like hippies given the IKEA make-over, they make some shit hot instrumental music – highly recommended 🙂
Just answering a closed group thread on Facebook. Typed in the below. How to summarise a life.
22 Years ago I had nothing. I worked hard, first job in retail which gradually worked up to 70+ hours a week and a near miss with a break-down over 7 years. Second job (In I.T.), again for 7 years with a 40 hour week, however I worked 2 hours from home for 2 of those years. Third job (I.T. job) started in 2008, 35 hour week, pay has more than doubled in 9 years doing that job, and 3 times what I was on in 1994. I’m lucky with the jobs, however I know it could all vanish overnight. I have more insurance than you can shake a stick at, and won’t be going back to 1994.
As for how? Muddle though, save what you can, live as much as you can. Be drunk. Lots. Fall in love, get married. Dump false friends. Be loyal. Don’t be blind, know when to cut and run like a gazelle being hunted, and when to stick like a superglued barnacle. Make the choices, commit where you can. Go fucking ballistic, no regrets.
22 Hard fucking years, half my life, damn good luck with yours.